Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Nutmeg Gets Locked In

So you may recall that we have a new craft room for the kids, and that it has a little secret area for them under the eaves of the roof. Well, this morning I opened the door to the craft room and heard a faint meow. I immediately opened the door to the storage area and Nutmeg came running out.

Nutmeg was extremely affectionate, which is normal any time she is shut-in somewhere or doesn't see us for a while. But, on a hunch, I looked inside the storage area and smelled something bad. She had used a spot at the farthest spot from the door to pee and poop (I give her credit for keeping it self-contained, and probably holding it as long as she could).

Usually I get concerned any time I don't see her for a while, but I went out last night so it slipped my mind. I wanted to figure out when she got shut in so I asked Avery what happened (he has locked her in small dark places before, like the master bathroom toilet room, a cabinet in our living room, and various closets). He said they shut her in when Gigi and Sammy were over, which was Monday. The poor cat had been locked in for almost two days.

Now she is curled on my lap, purring away, and very happy to be out of the storage area (and probably glad the kids are finally asleep).