Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Swim Lessons

Avery and Zachary had their first swim lesson yesterday. I was worried about whether Avery would listen to his teacher for his class, and figured that Zach would do fine since we were in a parent/child class together.

As it turned out, Zachary clung to me the entire time and didn't crack a smile until it was time to say goodbye to the instructor. Avery, on the other hand, did great! I was with Zach, so I was watching from afar, but from what I could see he listened really well to the instructor. His class didn't spend much time in the water swimming, but the teacher had them sitting on the steps kicking their legs and blowing bubbles. They also had to hold onto the wall and walk around the pool in the water.

[Update]

Today was our third day of swim lessons. Avery is getting exponentially better at swimming. He will go under for a while now and swim towards someone. He has a bit too much confidence when it comes to how long he can stay under; he's come up a couple of times spitting up water.

Zachary is still very clingy during class, which I don't understand. He is able to do everything the teacher asks, but when it isn't his turn to try something he gloms back on me. I think Eli and I will have to work with him in the big pool outside of his lessons. And I think I understand the techniques from swim class well enough that we can cancel his second session and have Mommy / Zachary tutoring while Avery has his lesson.