Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Going through a Rough Phase



As the boys realize I have less time to pay attention to them, they have been starting to act out a little more. It has been trying and tiring. Two days ago Zachary threw a tantrum for a half hour because I wouldn't give him a treat until he ate his lunch. I was getting ready to pick up Avery, so all I could do was bundle him into the car, where he continued to scream and fuss.

When I started driving down the driveway, he stopped and announced, "I change my mind, I'll eat my sandwich." Oops... too little, too late. That set him off again, and he screamed in the car until he fell asleep. Then when we got back, Avery had a tantrum when I said he couldn't play on the computer. He cried and screamed for an hour and then for another half hour or so when Eli got home.

Yesterday, I put Avery in a time out and when he got out I asked him why he was in time out. He said "Because I was being obnoxious." I think Eli's vocabulary is rubbing off on him :) We are working through these issues, but it is exhausting. Warm weather will be nice so I can get these guys outside to use up some energy.

Leah is my bright spot, my darling princess. She is such a calm and happy baby; I can sit her in the swing or lay her on her play mat for 15 minutes at a time with no trouble. She likes to stare at a black and white spotted cow my cousin Beth gave her. She smiles and coos at it, and I like to think that she is talking to it. The other day she even giggled for the first time as I was taking her out of the bathtub.